She's Here!!!

Monday, August 11, 2008

Ok, well I guess I will write out her birth story now while Mike is holding her. So it all started Thursday night when we went into the hospital to be induced. We got there about 8pm and checked in and got the IV and everything. I was already contracting every 3 minutes on my own but they weren't painful and they had been going on since about Mon. The doctor didn't get there until about 10pm because he was busy with some other things before that. When he got there he put in the foley catheter and the nurse said she would take it out in 6 hours and hopefully I would be dilated more (I was at 1cm when I went into the hospital). About 45min to an hour later I was having some painful contractions pretty frequently so I called the nurse to talk to her about some pain relief. She checked the catheter and said that I was already 3cm and so it came out. At about midnight she got me an epidural for the pain and started the pitocin (it wasn't supposed to be started until the next morning because the foley was supposed to take a long time). The contractions kept coming and getting stronger but I couldn't feel them, thank goodness for epidurals! At about 4am I was 4cm dilated. In the morning at around 8am the doctor came in and broke my water and said I was at a stretchy 6cm so he would probably see me around noon. Our nurse came in around 9:45am because I was having problems with the epidural and I was starting to feel the contractions again. The anesthesiologist came in and fixed it so that it worked again (thank goodness, he was just in time). At about 10am she said she would check me in an hour and see how I was doing. Almost as soon as she left the room I felt like I needed to go poop with every contraction. So I called the nurses station and the conversation went something like this.

nurse: "what can I do for you?"
me: "umm, I kinda feel like I need to push"
click

haha, the nurse came into my room pretty quick after that. She checked me and I was at 9 1/2 so she started getting the room ready for delivery. She told me that since I was a first time mom I would probably be pushing for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and that they wouldn't call the doctor until she was about ready to come out. So she has me start pushing (about 10:10am) and is like oh wow she's gonna be here fast. After 3 contractions she told me I had to stop pushing because the doctor wasn't there yet. The doctor got there a few minutes later looking like he had run all the way there and let me start pushing again. 2 contractions later at 10:25am she was born. The doctor had me push her head out and then told me not to push any more and he worked her out the rest of the way so that I didn't tear. He had to give me an episiotomy so that I didn't tear in the front where it would be more painful and harder to repair. She had some fluid in her lungs so they had to suction it out and then they brought her right over and put her on my chest. That was the best feeling in the world! I was crying because I was so happy and Mike was trying hard not to also.

A couple hours later they came in and helped me take a shower and gave Emma a bath. I almost passed out in the shower but I sat down for a few minutes and was ok again. After Emma's bath they put 2 little bows in her hair which looked really cute. They asked us that night when we wanted to leave and we decided to leave Saturday night. They called me a prescription in for pain killers but by the time they actually let us out of the hospital all of the pharmacies were closed so I couldn't get my pain meds. It was a really long night but we made it and were able to get the prescription in the morning.

Emma had a bit of a hard time nursing the first day. She didn't want to suck but we just kept trying. Friday night she had a really poopy diaper and after that she ate like a champ. She's been doing great and is such a good baby. She doesn't cry very often and she sleeps pretty well although she doesn't really care for her bed as much as she likes to sleep on someones chest. Tomorrow she has her first doctors appointment so hopefully that goes well. So far being a Mommy is the best thing ever!

2 comments:

Chandra said...

Oh Jen! What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it with us! I love hearing about the miracles of birth! She is so cute! Enjoy every minute and good for you for sticking to the nursing... they freaked me out at the hospital when Parker wouldn't latch on and so I wasn't able to nurse... like ever. It sucked (well I mean it didn't, that was the problem- but you see what I mean,) Anyhoo, congrats! You are one lucky lady! :-)

adorable pearsons said...

Yeah! First off a huge CONGRATS! She is just beautiful, and I loved the story. next- Yeah you have a blog!!! It was so fun to see your cute belly and then your absolutely beautiful baby! Congrats Congrats!